A popular low-light houseplant, the peace lily is toxic only if large quantities of the leaves are eaten. The peace lily is also known as Mauna Loa and is toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion of the peace lily or calla lily can cause irritation of the tongue and lips, increased salivation, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.
- When a cat chews or bites into the leaves or stems, the crystals are released and cause injury by penetrating the animal’s tissues. The damage can be extremely painful to the animal’s mouth, even if the plant isn’t ingested.
- Toxicity of peace lily plants is considered mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested.
- Never try to induce vomiting unless advised by your veterinarian, as you may unintentionally make matters worse.
“Toxicity of peace lily plants is considered mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested.”