Scented geraniums are an ideal plant to grow in a sunroom. For some, the beauty and aroma of a scented geranium may stir memories of plants that Grandma grew on her porch in the summer. For others, these attractive sunroom plants may be something they are unfamiliar with, but will soon come to treasure. Collecting a variety of scented geraniums can quickly become a hobby and a sunroom is the perfect place to nurture and display your collection.
* Plant the geranium(s) with basic potting mix in a container that allows good drainage.
* Plants are drought tolerant. Let soil dry slightly between watering.
* Trim or prune as desired to keep plant the size you want it to be.
* Plants require minimal fertilization spring through fall and none in winter.
* Plants need moderate to bright light.
* In a sunroom, plants can tolerate direct winter sun.
* Scented geraniums come in a variety of scents which can be generalized into the following categories
floral: rose is most popular, however there are many other choices. fruit: apple, orange, lemon, lime, apricot, strawberry, and many others. spicy: clove, eucalyptus, ginger, cinnamon, and many more.
* It is important to note that it is the leaves of the scented geranium that are aromatic, not the blooms as with many other flowers.
* 50 to 60 degree night temperature, 70 degree daytime is ideal
Scented geraniums come in a multitude of aromas. There is also quite a variation in the design of their leaves. You can create an interesting display of geraniums because of the various shape, texture, and color of the plant leaves. The blooms are small, colorful, and dainty. It is the leaves that create the most visual and aromatic excitement.
Wicker is a popular choice of sunroom furniture. Many styles of wicker furniture create a casual, relaxed atmosphere in the sunroom. Scented geraniums displayed in wicker baskets and planters accentuate the simple elegance that makes a sunroom such a peaceful, inviting space. These plants grow well in small containers. A collection of rose scented geranium would be beautiful displayed in a rattan country cart. A wicker plant stand with multiple baskets would be great for a collection of spicy geraniums. Scented geraniums are not especially tall plants. However, you can place a scented geranium in a pedestal style wicker planter to add height and beauty to a corner of the sunroom.